The Harvester supports the harvesting of all the greenhouse areas following sustainable harvesting practices. The Harvester works in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. He/She must be self-motivated and take the initiative on daily tasks. The Harvester reports to and takes direction from the Operations Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be receptive to learning new methods of harvesting
- Assist others with various additional projects and work-related errands as needed
- Assist with harvesting and packaging of Living organic Herbs (LOH)
- Support the harvesting at the harvesting area by following sustainable harvesting practices
- Notify Grower of irrigation system issues for the greenhouse
- Assess LOH growing conditions (by manually feeling the weight of the plant, the harvester can notice the water content)
- Ensure quality standards and health safety of all harvesting practices
- Accept responsibility and personal ownership for actions, results, and risks
- Keep accurate records of products on the carts
- Help with organization and training of new teammates harvesters at the harvesting area throughout the year
- Clean and maintain the working zone area and maintain all tools/supplies organized
- Verbally report any problems with the plants such as diseases and insects to Harvesting/Line Coordinator
- Place sleeves manually in the LOH products
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education: High school diploma or GED certificate.
Experience: 1- year experience working in a Greenhouse environment or growing organic herbs and microgreens, knowledgeable of primary organic herbs production including harvest and post-harvest.
Language Fluency: No specific language requirements; bi-lingual English/Spanish fluency preferred.
Availability: Available to work Monday-Friday and some weekends as required.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
Manual Dexterity: Ability to quickly move your hands and arms sufficiently to grasp, hold, finely manipulate and assemble herbs and packaging.
Muscle Strength & Flexibility: Ability to bend, reach, stoop, squat, pivot, turn, balance, walk, pus, pull, and lift and carry up to 30lbs.
Trunk Strength: Ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support a standing position for sustained periods over time without ‘giving out.
Withstand Hot/Cold: Ability to perform duties, responsibilities, and assigned tasks with maximum efficiency while working in a sustained hot or cold work environment.
Sustained Fast Pace: Ability to work at a very fast sustained pace without reduction in quality, food safety and workplace safety compliance.
Not Allergic: Ability to breathe, touch and work around fresh herbs and leafy produce safely.
SGI utilizes E-Verify and is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. In the event you require reasonable accommodation to apply for this job, please contact our company and appropriate assistance will be provided.