The Food Safety Specialist, “FSS” oversees the Quality and Organic programs for the Greenhouse, Packaging & Fields departments. This position will provide effective communication with various levels of the organization, conduct training to develop staff, lead & participate in Food Safety process improvement projects. This position is responsible for document compliance including HACCP, SSOPs, and 3rd party audits. The FSS also reports to the site General Manager. The FSS has the opportunity to participate in Food Safety continuous improvement projects and will submit information as required.
- Ensures the development, compliance, and certification of HACCP and other food safety programs for Shenandoah Growers, Inc.
- Ensures operations compliance with organic regulations
- Ensures the site delivers the required standards of food safety according to SGI policies, procedures, and practices.
- Leads the facility in third party and customer audit preparation. Facilitates all food safety audit events.
- Leads the cross functional Food Safety team monthly meetings; issue agendas, minutes and action items. Ensures 100% attendance and member engagement.
- Responsible for the delivery of continuous improvement and working with Corporate Food Safety in the execution of company programs.
- Delivers all accountabilities through the direct involvement with manufacturing support personnel.
- Responsible to ensure Microbial program compliance and sanitation compliance.
- Accountable for allergen program management and compliance.
- Ensure key traceability, inspection program management, vendor management, and microbial program metrics are established, and the delivery of the established metrics and Key Performance Indices.
- Ensures adherence to the required food safety laws, regulations, corporate policies, and practices.
- Adheres to all Company’s procedures and policies
Principle Duties & Responsibilities:
- Directs, plans, and implements traceability testing and monitoring.
- Responsible for vendor management related to food safety.
- Ensure the facility meets all required food safety laws, regulations, and corporate policies.
- Responsible for the microbial program compliance for the facility. Also, responsible for the continued development and continuous improvement of such programs.
- Environmental responsibilities such as water testing.
- Responsible for food safety accountabilities for all hours of the operation.
- Accountable for HACCP and food safety training for the facility to ensure compliance and execution of required programs.
- Ensures adherence to company policies and all standard operating procedures/instructions.
- Attends and participates in Corporate Food Safety conference calls. Responsible for action items identified in the call and all other Corporate Food Safety requests.
- Responsible for compliance with all regulations. Assure production facility is in a proper sanitary condition at all times, including allergen control and pest control guidelines. Compliance with food safety policies and procedures.
- Responsible for supporting the execution of relevant projects within the assigned area.
- Responsible for supporting the talent management process for hourly employees. Proactively engages in the development and training of hourly labor and support.
- Works with Corporate Food Safety on continuous improvement projects. Submit information as required. This position has dotted line reporting responsibility to Corporate Food Safety
- Drives “Be the Best” principles.
- Adheres to and administer company policies and procedures.
- Verifies collects and stores all food safety-related records.
- Other duties as assigned, including assisting GM with HR.
- Associate degree (i.e. food science, microbiology, or equivalent) *
- 2 Yrs. Of Food Safety experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Office 365 programs
- Previous HACCP certification program designing and implementation
- Effective communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate the ability to lead and motivate people
- Ability to work with employees at all levels of the organization
- Food processing experience
- Experience in managing processes preferred
SGI utilizes E-Verify and is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. In the event you require reasonable accommodation to apply for this job, please contact our company and appropriate assistance will be provided.