SUMMARY: The R&D Plant Physiologist will lead, plan, and ensure completion of horticultural R&D trials involving cross-functional teams toward optimizing Shenandoah Growers’ indoor Organic biofarms. The position will lead trial planning and execution, integrate methods to assess yield, photosynthesis, and stress, improve growing systems and horticultural practices, supervise technical staff as required, and maintain research equipment. The successful candidate will be a key member of the Research & Development Team and play an exciting role in the optimization and development of the Company’s controlled environment agricultural facilities nationwide.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Non-Essential Functions are preceded by an *)
• Integrate crop physiology methods and horticultural practices into R&D trials
• Planning, management, and execution of research trials for development of controlled environment production systems
• Support evaluation and development of plant propagation methods, production systems, and harvest and storage practices
• Examine aspects and components of yield for optimizing plant production and driving development
• Contribute to the creation of SOP documentation
• Interpret and report on trial results, clearly communicating data and findings
• Achieve proficiency in operation and maintenance of research instrumentation. Keep equipment and research environments tidy and fully equipped for operation and maximum productivity
• Work with fellow research associates to supervise and train technical staff to contribute to the continuous improvement of the R&D team.
• Participate in professional development activities and establish relationships with professionals in the field by attending workshops, conferences, webinars, etc.
• Frequent travel between local SG locations (within 2 hours). Occasional travel within domestic SG growing facilities.
• Perform other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• M.S. degree plus 3 years’ experience or PhD in plant physiology or related fields
PREFERRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Experience using infrared gas analysis and chlorophyll fluorescence.
• Experience in production at research scale, execution of trials, and trial completion and reporting of findings.
• Practical knowledge of assessment of elements of physiological growth and stress, including plant development, nutrition, abiotic/biotic stress, water movement, photosynthesis, respiration, and transpiration.
• Experience in and/or knowledge of controlled environment agricultural systems, plant manipulation, and horticultural production.
• Use of laboratory equipment and sensors to improve the quality and quantity of data collected from research trials.
• Experience in culinary herbs and greens crop production practices, preferably in controlled environments
• Strong research, analytical, and communication skills
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY QUALIFICATIONS:
• Highly motivated individual with strong work ethic able to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment
• Positive attitude with a drive to be the best
• Working knowledge of SGI products and processing
• A passion for science, analysis, and problem solving
• Good computer skills for data entry and analysis
• Ability to work safely at all times
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills
• Creativity, technical knowledge, and interest in learning from others
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Passionate about Organic vegetable and herb production
Indoor LED Research and Development growing rooms, indoor plant factories, and greenhouse facilities.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
Locomotion: Ability to move about between various environments and on different surfaces sufficiently to perform job duties and responsibilities.
Muscle Strength & Flexibility: Ability to bend, reach, stoop, squat, pivot, turn, balance, walk, push, pull, and lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
Sustained Fast Pace: Ability to perform duties, responsibilities and assigned tasks with maximum efficiency while working at a very fast sustained pace without reduction in accuracy and quality.
TRAVEL: As needed per Supervisor request
Learning: Ability to understand and follow directions and learn new skills.
Near Vision: Ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
Speech Recognition: Ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
Oral Comprehension: Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
Oral Expression: Ability to communicate information and ideas speaking so others will understand.
Problem Sensitivity: Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
Emergency Response: Ability to understand, respond quickly, and move appropriately according to workplace safety protocols.
SGI utilizes E-Verify and is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. In the event you require reasonable accommodation to apply for this job, please contact our company and appropriate assistance will be provided.