Lead Driver may be responsible for loading and unloading customer orders as needed at both our Greenhouse and Pack house locations Further responsibilities include the safe operation of company vehicles, as well as, performing a variety of tasks related to shipping and receiving product. This will include but not limited to the use of equipment typically found in a loading dock/warehouse operation such as fork-lifts, pallet jacks and trucks and carts.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist Transportation Supervisor.
- Loads trucks according to truck mapping and special instructions.
- Loads product in a manner to avoid damages and maintain load stability to insure driver safety.
- Wraps pallets by machine or hand to insure stability.
- Loads and unloads shipments as required; constant lifting of boxes weighing up to 60 pounds each.
- Operates stock trucks and mechanical jacks throughout the facility constantly in a safe manner.
- Prepares products for shipment under general supervision by weighing, handling and transporting as necessary. Marks, addresses, loads, and packs product for proper delivery and condition.
- Hand loads product onto trucks as required.
- Complies with all safety regulations and standards.
- Delivers product within assigned route schedule and time windows. Immediately informs management team of any deviations.
- Unloads product from trailer, by hand or using hand cart, and places in designated customer storage areas. May include transporting product down ramps, stairs, or docks, in all weather conditions.
- Picks up, loads and unloads damaged goods and customer returns, and completes necessary paperwork.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip responsibilities in accordance with Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations and Shenandoah Growers policies and procedures.
- Completes Department of Transportation (DOT) logs (electronic or manual as required), company vehicle maintenance reports and reconciles with appropriate company representative as required.
- Maintains and safely operates all assigned equipment, including but not limited to hand cart, pallets, load bars, and personal protective equipment.
- Maintains sanitary conditions in tractor and trailer, assists with maintaining sanitary conditions in the warehouse and yard and proper handling of product.
- Cleans out trucks as necessary.
- Can drive a truck that contains a box up to 30 feet.
- Can drive a standard transmission.
- Attends all required company meetings.
Other duties may be assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Shift start time is 3AM.
- Shift schedule is Saturday, Sunday, Monday Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to operate a manual transmission.
- Able to read, write and communicate effectively in English, as it relates to the job and to the safety regulations.
- Must have basic math skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide).
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen testing.
- Must pass DOT physical.
- Must be able to keep a log book.
Experience leading others, strongly preferred