Job Type: Full-time
Shenandoah Growers, Inc “SGI” is actively looking for an Accounting Manager. This position is based from Headquarters located in Harrisonburg, VA. The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting policies and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. The Accounting Manager has strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal. This position reports to VP Finance & Accounting.
Essential Job Functions:
- Obtains and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensures an accurate and timely monthly and year-end close.
- Ensures the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Supports budget and forecasting activities.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Responds to inquiries from the VP of Finance and other managers regarding financial results and special reporting requests.
- Supervises the general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Assists in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Provides training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Handles personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Works with each direct report to establish KPIs for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Assists with strategy development and institutes best business practices across all aspects of the organization.
- Annual and monthly budget development and implementation with and among departments.
- Analyzes, reconciles and reports company financial data including balance sheet, profit & loss statement, cash flows, equity and other reports.
- Prepares budget variance reports and work closely with Department managers monitoring and reconciling actual data and financial performance.
- Develops cost accounting reports and analysis, tracks and measures key metrics.
- Maintains records of fixed assets, depreciation schedules, and assists department managers in programs to safeguard assets.
- Coordinates and informs accounting practices and policies among departments.
- Responsible for GAAP compliance.
- Coordinates the preparation of all periodic and annual federal and state tax returns and full compliance with external auditors.
- Establishes, implements and monitors appropriate financial controls and accounting procedures.
- Manages external audit.
- Manages daily administrative activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in Accounting
- 10 Yrs of combined experience in the industry and public accounting
- 5 Yrs Supervisory experience
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and business processes
- Familiarity with financial accounting statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
- Hands-on experience with accounting software packages
- Strong knowledge in Excell and other Microsoft programs
- Positive attitude & strong work ethic
- Must possess a professional demeanor
- Teamwork and be able to meet assignment deadlines
- Advance excel skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment
- Advanced problem resolution skills and communication abilities
Preferred & additional Qualifications:
- CPA certification
- Cost accounting experience
- Excellent word processing and spreadsheet skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
SGI utilizes E-Verify and is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. In the event you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for this job, please contact our company and appropriate assistance will be provided.