SUMMARY: The Category Marketing Manager serves as the analytics, category management and shopper insights subject matter expert that leverages multiple data sources including syndicated (scan) data, customer data, internal sales and profitability data, and consumer insights to identify, recommend and execute initiatives that drive new distribution, optimize existing distribution, and inform merchandising decisions, pricing, and promotions. Working with sales and marketing teams, this position will provide category management direction, synthesize insights, and develop fact-based selling materials for the sales team and to the retail buyer to help achieve volume, market share, and profit targets. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Marketing.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Non-Essential Functions are preceded by an *)
• Advance the Category Management discipline for the company and all its lines of business to be best-in-class for our market and categories.
• Work with sales account managers and marketing team to develop and maintain planogram templates, optimal assortments for customers, and identify/propose additional business growth opportunities.
• Leverage category management knowledge, data analytics, and marketplace understanding to support decision making that drives the achievement of brand growth, market share, and profit objectives.
• Develop and manage consumption, shipment, and consumer-insights presentation materials, and reports provided to sales, operations, and senior management. Adjust content, frequency and format as necessary to support evolving team needs.
• Work with sales and marketing to help plan, organize, and manage company participation at key trade shows and industry events.
• Work with sales and marketing to develop recommendations for retailer product mix, pricing, promotion and merchandising for customer business or line reviews.
• Deliver presentations to internal teams as well as customer presentations to support the business.
• Work closely with account teams to build data and insight-based selling stories for new items, promotional planning, mix optimization, merchandising, distribution, and/or pricing initiatives.
• Assist Marketing to integrate category data, retailer date (e.g. shopper card) and consumer insights to help identify potential market opportunities and develop baseline volumetrics for new products or promotions.
• Serve as the primary contact for data providers, manage the relationship, and make recommendations on necessary changes to contracts or providers.
• Assist in performance analysis and ROI assessment of marketing campaigns and channels
• Perform special projects or assignments as required to support the business
• Maintain confidentiality of restricted customer information.
• Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics or related field
• 3-5 years of category marketing experience in FMCG environment
• Demonstrated experience in the application of third-party syndicated data (IRI, Neilsen, SPINS)
• Understanding of brand financials and P&L.
• Experience with MS Office applications, high-level proficiency with Microsoft Excel
• Experience working in a fast-paced environment, a smaller entrepreneurial company, or agency/data provider
PREFERRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Experience in CPG food, perishable products categories
• Experience at a category manager or marketing manager level
• Experience working for a retailer or as agency/data provider on-site at retailer or brand company
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
• Demonstrates a collaborative working style to participate effectively and motivate others working within a team environment.
• Skilled in leveraging internal and third-party data (e.g., Nielsen, IRI, SPINS) to help build effective data-led brand narratives and support customer business reviews.
• Strong orientation to organization and details
• Strategic and analytical thinker with natural curiosity and capability to drive for deeper insights and build compelling data-led arguments and presentations.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; able to present to all levels to communicate team vision and goals, share ideas, and project updates with the leadership team, sales, and customers.
• Must be goal-oriented, confident, energetic, able to work well under pressure and thrive within a competitive market and fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
Standard office environment
Intermittent sitting and standing
Ability to travel domestically 10-25%
• Ability to observe and identify surroundings
• Ability to comprehend and exchange detailed information
• Ability to concentrate, recognize, remember, reason, and make decisions
SGI utilizes E-Verify and is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. In the event you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for this job, please contact our company and appropriate assistance will be provided.